Monday, January 21, 2008

More notes from TLI, Jan. 19, 2008

Deron and I (Janet) presented a workshop at Saturday's TLI held at Johnson and Whales culinary school campus near Stapleton. I'll give you my handout at the next meeting.

I felt like we should have given a food demo, but we didn't. I saw our fearless president Eric Peterson there as well as PR VP Dave Truzpek and membership VP Nick Samoylov. I would estimate that several hundered TMs were in attendance despite the snowy holiday weekend.

At the plenary session, a guest TM honcho stressed "friends never let friends give non-manual speeches." In other words, everyone is required to give manual speeches at Toastmasters meetings. That should be easy to do given the wide variety of speech manuals available to those who have completed their first 10 speeches.

TM merchandise like manuals, books, ribbons, etc., was available for sale. I found an interesting advanced manual that I plan to tackle. I have to involve fellow TMs, and you may be one of them!

I highly recommend TLI, especially for officers' training. But any member can gain new insights about running meetings, recruiting and retaining members and speaking eloquently.

No comments: