Friday, July 20, 2007

Meeting Notes - July 19th Flitch Day

I found this little tidbit on the Freakonomics website...

July 19 is Flitch Day, a surviving relic from Medieval England in which married couples appear before a "mock court." Those who can prove that they had "lived in harmony and fidelity" for the past twelve months were awarded a flitch, defined as a "salted and cured side of bacon." According to Thinkquest.org, "very few [couples] 'took home the bacon.'"

We didn't hold a mock court, but we did have an interesting table topics, presented by Tracy Goodman, revolving around the frustrations of the work place. It occurs to me that if we liken our work to a marriage between us and our employers the flitch would never be awarded. The spice of life is drawn from our experiences, and salted and cured bacon is a poor substitue.

We were treated to two very good speeches. Mike Angell provided us with an interpretive reading that lent us advice on finding harmony in our relationships. A careful study and attention to the details of the reading could lead us to earning a flitch, assuming the concurrence of our partners.

As Mike's evaluator, I missed all of Luayne's speech, as I toiled over my evaluation duties. I did get this much. There was a lot of laughter. Since Luayne was giving a speech from the Entertainment, I gather by the response that she hit her mark. It is a mis-fortune that I remain unable to do two things at one time.

We finished up the meeting by inducting Nathan Wilkes and Tracy Goodman to the club.

No comments: